Carbon monoxide is a silent killer you don’t want in your home but because it is colorless and odorless; you may not even be aware the deadly condition exists. The Center for Disease Control says more than 400 people in the U.S. die annually from carbon monoxide poisoning and over 10,000 require medical treatment each year. The Environmental Protection Agency suggests the following to reduce exposure in the home: Un-maintained furnaces, water heaters and appliances can produce the deadly gas. In addition, other sources could be leaking chimneys, un-vented kerosene or gas space heaters or exhaust from cars or trucks operating in an attached garage.
- Keep gas appliances properly adjusted
- Install and use an exhaust fan vented to the outdoors over gas stoves
- Open flues when fireplaces are in use
- Do not idle car inside garage
- Have a trained professional inspect, clean and tune-up central heating systems annually